By Peter McVitie

Ajax ensured they go into their Champions League opener against Borussia Dortmund this week in fine form after beating RKC Waalwijk 2-0 in the Amsterdam ArenA on Saturday.

The Eredivisie champions were by far the better team and almost took the lead after three minutes when Derk Boerrigter cut in from the left-wing and unleashed a shot but the winger’s effort flew just over the bar.

Then, Christian Eriksen came close to breaking the deadlock as he took Siem de Jong’s through ball in his stride but the young Denmark international was denied by RKC goalkeeper Jeroen Zoet.

RKC were able to hold Frank de Boer’s men level until 52 minutes when Lasse Schone capped off a fantastic passing move with a superb finish from 25 yards.

Jody Lukoki made it 2-0 with just over 20 minutes left when debutant Ryan Babel cut back from the byline for the 19-year-old winger whose header went in off of Zoet’s shin.

Two goals from Uche Nwofor rescued a point for VVV as they fought back from 2-0 down to draw with NEC.

The visitors found themselves in the lead after just two minutes through Michel Breuer when he met Geert Arend Roorda’s free-kick and headed into the net.

Both sides set out to attack but some poor finishing and strong goalkeeping left both teams frustrated in front of goal.

Melvin Platje grabbed NEC’s second of the game after 55 minutes when he diverted Navarone Foor’s cross past Niclas Heimann.

Nwofor sparked the comeback in the final quarter of the game with a header from Oguzhan Turk’s cross which beat Gabor Babos. The VVV forward then netted the equaliser with 15 minutes remaining with a fantastic goal. Evander Sno was caught in possession by Bryan Linssen who passed to Nwofor and the 20-year-old drove down the left-wing before slotting it in off the post.

Steve can only be happy with his current record

Twente stay top of the league for the fifth week running as they carried their 100% record into the sixth week by demolishing Willem II 6-2 in Tilburg.

Steve McClaren’s men were by far the better team but didn’t find the net until late in the first period when Roberto Rosales squared to Felipe Gutierrez inside the box and the 22-year-old Chilean comfortably found the net for the first time in the red jersey of Twente.

Luc Castaignos doubled the Tukkers’ lead just a minute later, pouncing on Ruud van der Rijt’s suicide ball to David Meul and rolling it over the line after rounding the Willem II goalkeeper.

Robbert Schilder extended Twente’s lead early in the second-half as he latched onto Gutierrez’s through ball and fired it past Meul before Marc Hocher pulled one back for the home team by tapping it through the legs of Nikolay Mihaylov.

But Schilder killed off any chance of a Willem II comeback when Dusan Tadic burst forward before squaring to the 26-year-old who smashed it into the top corner.

It was 5-1 two minutes later when Willem Janssen smashed home the rebound after Meul denied Tadic.

It was a poor day for Willem II but there was one positive in 17-year-old prospect Jeroen Lumu coming off the bench to score in his first game of the new campaign, but the celebrations were cut short when Philipp Haastrup put it into his own net to make it 6-2 to Twente.

A 3-1 defeat to ADO Den Haag at the Abe Lenstra Stadion means Heerenveen are still without a league win under new boss Marco van Basten.

Rydell Poepon gave the visitors the lead after 20 minutes when Sven Kums was caught in possession by Tjaronn Chery, who played the 25-year-old through on goal and he fired past Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

Four minutes later, Jens Toornstra doubled ADO’s winning margin by heading in the rebound after Kevin Jansen’s effort struck the post.

Chery made it 3-0 just before the half hour mark, driving towards goal from the right-wing before putting it past Nordfeldt to grab his fourth goal of the league campaign.

Heerenveen looked to have sparked a comeback early in the second-half as Jeffrey Gouweleeuw knocked it in from close range after Alfred Finnbogason set him up.

The hosts’ chances of getting back into the game increased dramatically when ADO defender Aaron Meijers was dismissed with his second booking for a tackle on Rajiv van La Parra. Van Basten’s men increased the pressure on their opponents’ goal but they were left frustrated as ADO held onto to the two goal advantage.

Ronald Koeman’s Feyenoord picked up a deserved three points with a 2-0 victory over a Zwolle side who are still to win a game this season.

The Rotterdam giants should have taken the lead early on but Ruben Schaken was denied by Danny Wintjens after he was put through one-on-one with the Zwolle goalkeeper by Jordy Clasie’s perfectly weighted pass.

Fortune played a significant part in the opening goal as Graziano Pelle’s shot bounced off of defender Joost Broerse and past Wintjens.

Zwolle had their best opportunity of the game when Denni Avdic volleyed Furdjel Narsingh’s cross towards goal but Kostas Lamprou kept it out with ease.

Feyenoord increased the pressure as they looked to kill the game off with Schaken and Bruno Martins Indi both coming close, but it was Lex Immers who made it 2-0 from the penalty spot after Schaken was felled by Gerard Aafjes inside the box.

Late goals from Willie Overtoom and Everton stole a win for Heracles as they came back from behind to beat NAC Breda 2-1 on Sunday.

The visitors went ahead inside 15 minutes when Anouar Hadouir squared to Alex Schalk who fired in from the edge of the box.

Heracles fought hard to pull level but the Almelo club didn’t find the net until there were just ten minutes left on the clock. Everton headed a cross onto Overtoom, who was lurking at the back post and the 26-year-old buried it past Jelle ten Rouwelaar.

The NAC goalkeeper kept the scores level as he tipped Lerin Duarte’s shot over the bar.

With the hosts in the ascendancy, they eventually did take the lead when Everton capitalised on some poor NAC defending and slotted into the net in injury time.

Eredivisie top goalscorer Jozy Altidore was the star of the show in AZ’s 4-0 thrashing of Roda on Sunday as the American netted a hat-trick for the Alkmaar side.

Gertjan Verbeek’s men dominated the game and opened the scoring after 13 minutes when Altidore curled Viktor Elm’s through-ball past Filip Kurto.

The American also grabbed an assist in the second goal as his cross-cum-shot fell perfectly for Erik Falkenburg to divert over the line.

Maarten Martens then chipped over the backline to Altidore who was able to chest it down and slammed it into the net.

The 22-year-old capped off a fantastic performance for himself and his team with his third goal goal of the game and seventh of the season, playing a one-two inside the box with Adam Maher before sliding it across the goalkeeper.

Utrecht battled hard to earn three points against PSV as the home side went down to nine men in the second-half.

The hosts found themselves a man down with 20 minutes left when Anouar Kali was given his second yellow card for a poor tackle on PSV midfielder Kevin Strootman.

But despite the numerical disadvantage, Jan Wouters’s side took the lead through Dave Bulthuis just minutes after the dismissal. Tommy Oar crossed into the mix and Bulthuis got a slight touch on it to divert it past Przemyslaw Tyton.

Defending the lead got much more difficult for Utrecht when Alexander Gerndt was shown a straight red for a poor challenge on Mark van Bommel.

PSV attacked in search of an equaliser but the home side were able to hold on and collect the three points.

Vitesse are another side who collected three points despite a dismissal as they beat Groningen 3-0 after going a man down 30 minutes into the match.

The opening stages were fairly even with neither side really threatening their opponents’ goal. The first clear opportunity came after 20 minutes when Mitchell Schet went one-on-one with Piet Velthuizen and the Vitesse goalkeeper kept the shot out.

Jan-Arie van der Heijden was dismissed on the half-hour mark when he brought down Genero Zeefuik on the edge of the box. Referee Bas Nijhuis judged the midfielder to have denied a clear goalscoring opportunity as he was the last defender and showed him the red card.

Groningen were in the ascendancy following the red card but it was the visitors who took the lead when Havenaar headed in Patrick van Aanholt’s cross.

Vitesse doubled their lead 15 minutes later with Havenaar involved once again as he passed to Kalas who put it past Luciano Da Silva.

Bony then made it 3-0 in injury time when Van Aanholt raced down the left-wing with incredible speed before sending it into the box for the Ivorian to head over Da Silva.